Blog Archive

O mnie

My photo
Poznań, Wielkopolska, Poland
My name is Jamie (Jay) R. Scott, I'm 20 years of age and an English expatriate from Brighton, UK now living in Poznań, Poland.

Monday 7 March 2011

The accusative!

So the accusative is apparently the direct object of a sentence.. 'I have a book', 'I am watching the television', 'We have a new car'. Only masculine nouns (that which end in a consonant) that are animate (people, animals) change in the accusative case, along with their adjectives. And feminine nouns that denote everything in the accusative change

Masculine nouns add -a, and their adjectives add -ego.

Thus:

Mam  dobry  kot
(I have,  good,  cat) becomes:
Mam dobrego kota

Additionally feminine nouns (ending in a) in the accusative (person or object) changes it's form.. nouns change -a to ę and adjectives change -a to -ą

Thus:

Mam dobra dziewczyna
(I have good girlfriend) becomes:
Mam dobrą dziewczynę

At least this is as far as I've come with it... Pity I learned that a negative statement in the accusative changes its form to 'Genetive'.. which is both confusing and unnecessary, but none the less it is so.

~~

Ola czyta polką gazetę
    - Ola is reading polish gazette

Czy znasz tego pana i tę panią
    - Do you know this man and this woman?

Czy pamiętacie mojego brata i moją siostrę
    - Do you remember my brother and my sister?

Oni mają bardzo miłego sąsiada
    - They have a very nice neighbour


~~

Next up is the Genetive case!

No comments:

Post a Comment