Blog Archive

O mnie

My photo
Poznań, Wielkopolska, Poland
My name is Jamie (Jay) R. Scott, I'm 20 years of age and an English expatriate from Brighton, UK now living in Poznań, Poland.

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Genitive

So now I've been working on the genetive, feeling that I understand the accusative quite well. The genitive seems confusing but from what I can make out, it's used in 5 different ways:

1.) Posessives.. equivalent to english 's, eg Marks brother (brata Marka) - the possessed object comes first
2.) Negated verb.. genitive replaces direct object, eg Mam siostrę.. Nie mam siostry (I have a sister / I don't have a sister)
3.) After some prepositions such as od / do.. (z Poznania do Warszawy)
4.) After quantities; Mam małó czasu
5.) After some verbs like szukać, słuchać, uczyć się, życzyć


* Masculine animate nouns (people, animals) have same ending as in accusative (-a)
* Masculine inanimate nouns (things) add -u
* Neuter nouns also take masculine acc form and add -a
* Genitive ending for masculine / neuter adjectives is -ego

* Feminine nouns take -i after k,g or soft consonants
* Other nouns take -y
* Feminine adjectives add -ej


Thus, Masculine genitive (Animate):
- Nie mam brata

Masculine genitive (Inanimate):
- Nie lubię brązowego regału

Neutral genitive:
- Muszę iść do miasta

Feminine Genitive:
- dom mojej siostry

It's so much more confusing than the simpler accusative case, but I need to understand it... I think when I understand genitive to a high degree, I can start work on prepositions and do a little bit of a refresh on demonstrative adjectives and pronouns (my, your, this, that).. and then i'll have a solid foundation for working with new vocabulary that I can learn. I think it's a good structure for learning, and if I can get them down then its just a matter of learning the vocabulary and a few other grammatical points like conjugations and tenses but its a great starting point :)

No comments:

Post a Comment